Wednesday, January 16, 2013

a dose of self discovery

I've never been big on self discovery, meditation, "alone time" or yoga. I'm just not good at it.   However, the past few days have allowed for a lot of time inside my own head.  Shockingly, I'm not mad about it.  After cleaning my room, not just shoving my clothes in the bins under my bed, I felt, for lack of a better word, calm.  When I moved to Chicago everything happened so quickly.  I didn't take the time to hang my photos of the wall or make my bed everyday like I'd done for majority of my life (my mom said it was good luck- maybe that's why I didn't get the job...). Having the time to do these little daily chores and tasks has done wonders.  I believe I slept better last night because I could stretch out on my entire twin bed and not have to be nestled between clean clothes and winter coats.  Everything was back in the right place, my mind included. In a sense it was dose of self discovery to have a clean room.

I've been reminding myself lately about the things that I continuously put off or avoid; but that I am never mad about doing after they're done.  So far my list includes cleaning my room, working out, cooking a legitimate meal- not a frozen pizza, painting my nails, writing a hand written note, actually engaging in a real conversation, unplugging (no cell phone, computer etc.) for an hour a day, reading a book and 95% I'm not mad after I strike up a conversation with a stranger.  Surprisingly, after I complete these things I've realized I actually enjoy them and that is important to incorporate them into my daily life.  Sure, that is easy now that I am fUnEmployed.  But I am going to make it a priority that with my next job I remember how important these things are for my own sanity.

I rarely ask things of others. It isn't exactly in my nature.  But I'm going to make an exception today. I'd like to ask each of you to contribute to the list. It is so easy to get caught up in work, family, social media, celebrity gossip and life itself that we don't take the time to do the things we love.  So please, comment on this post with the things that YOU put off doing but are never mad about once the task is complete.  I can't wait to hear about what you enjoy!

And while you're at it engaging in social media when you should be working- take a look at this video and share it with your friends because it is an important lesson for all of us.


xoxo
-Kaitlyn

2 comments:

  1. Same stuff.. having a clean room, with things in their places can easily calm me down. I feel stressed and like I have stuff to do otherwise. (the other one, for the IT professional in myself) is having no unread emails in my inboxes.. but this rarely happens. If I can keep them below 10 I'm okay.. since unread e-mails are kind of to-do items for myself).
    Maybe thats just the bit of OCD I have though..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! Cleaning off surfaces like my desk, coffee table, and dining room table.

    ReplyDelete