Friday, August 10, 2012

Hi, I'm new to the neighborhood.

It's been exactly one week since I've moved in. It seems like a total and complete whirlwind.  Who would have imagined that I was going to be packing up my life and heading to the midwest just a mere 6 weeks after my college graduation in California? I certainly didn't.  Don't get me wrong, the midwest has a lot to offer... corn, corn and more corn. Little did I know that Chicago was a magical place amongst all the flat corn fields.  And this wonderful city is my new home. In February I applied for an internship with Red Frog Events, an active entertainment event planning firm located in the heart of Chicago.  Although I was confident in myself and what I could offer the company, I was also realistic about obtaining the position (8,000 applicants are you kidding me?!?).  Maybe it was the follow up youtube video I sent of Scrappy (my dad) and I teaching the world to dougie that lead to RFE bringing me on board for a Fall 2012 internship. Or maybe it was passion for event planning.  Either way I'm here now :)

Since this week as been a little cray, I'll give you a quick run down of what I've been up to:

Friday, Saturday & Sunday...

  • My mom and I shopped until we dropped (literally)

  • Met one of my roommates, Cody (never even talked to him on the phone before we met... oh the internet)

  • Had Chicago style pizza at Giordanos... YUM!
  • And much much more!
This week...
  • Spent time shopping for the apartment
  • Walked ALL over the city

  • Saw the fake beach (Lake Michigan is so enormous you can't see the other side... people here call it the beach, its no Newport Beach though)

  • Met Laura- another intern and basically the same person as myself

  • Met a few yopros ;) (Young Professionals... their attire is a suit during the week and boat shoes on the weekend, aka the most attractive way a man can dress)
  • Built a dresser & a bench (if event planning doesn't work out I'm thinking of posting on craigslist that I can assemble furniture that was purchased at Target or Ikea)



It's been an insane week.  But being new to the neighborhood is actually pretty awesome. People are warm and welcoming & everyone wants to talk about my "big move".  Of course these folks are wonderful, but that doesn't mean they can replace my friends and family... so feel free to email, text, call, and more importantly send snail mail (its my favorite type of communication).  Miss you all!


xoxo
-Kait

P.S. You're probably wondering about the name of my blog.  Well Grandma Joyce has a special place in my heart and spent so much time in Chicago. Not only do I feel like I'm spending time near her old stomping grounds, but I've been doing a ton of walking and I'm genuinely really really happy here.  So I look at as I'm cruising down a joyous path.  Feel free to join me anytime.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats Cuz, have a fantastic time out there and no you'll get the Big Job too. Have just subscribed to your blogs and look forward to reading all about your new life.

    Cuz Laura (in the UK)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi darlin' Kaits,

    Watch out Chicago...Katie's in town! Let the adventure begin!
    Exciting time in your life, work hard, play hard and have way too much fun. I probably did'nt need to tell you that. Lots of love...xoxo

    ReplyDelete